Wednesday 16 August 2017

Old Folks

Last month Dr Soma, Diana and Pui Yee (PHD student), me and other internees were visited Desa Amal Jireh and Persatuan Rumah Caring Kajang for our internship program. Oh and firstly, our internship program called Go Gold Project which 'Gold' means "Emas" which also means, "Warga Emas". So our project is going to the old folks, observing theirs nutritional status and give some advice or do something to help them improve their health quality. It took two weeks for the visits. We started the day off by gathering at campus and carpooled together to the old folks. I went in Dr Soma's car and the trip was going so fun as this is my first time going convo-style with those people especially my lecturer, Dr Soma.


When we arrived there, I was really blur and know nothing to do since I am the first timer (this was also my FIRST internship program). Glad that Dr Soma following us to guide and do all the registration things. After done registered ourselves, the manager brought us to their room and gave us a book of list of their details.Upon entering the door of the old folks room, all of them were stared at us. Its a bit scary but we managed to get along with them after few minutes. We explained about our intention on visiting them and we do some activities with them. They were so happy and enjoy each activities!  The activities were not only to observe their speed, stability and nutritional status but it also enable them to do some exercise to help them feel a bit fresh and active. Its like killing two birds with a stone work hehe.

Dealing with the old folks really needs a lot of patience and gentle. Not all of them are the same. Some of them would really listen to you, some of them would very stubborn do not want to do anything, some of them would getting very hyper and some of them would angry and bad mood to you out of nowhere. But with kindness and patience, they'll slowly learn to be comfortable with you. It took some time for us to deal with their attitude but glad that we managed to handle them. We also observe their nutritional status and found most of them are having diabetes, obesity and bone problems.  It is more sad when their own children do not care about them. Some of them have been staying at the institution for almost 15 years. Some of them also told us that they really miss their children but they cannot and do not know how to contact them. Sigh. It really breaks my heart.


The Gold bow for our project





The machine that we used to measure their nutritional status


Did not managed to take many pictures since we were too busy spending time with them



I learnt a lot from the visit. I'm the one that in charged to key in all their data and I realised how blessed I am after I met them who have much less than I do. Most of them are having serious diseases. The worst, they not only less in health, but also less in love. Always remember to thank Allah for what He given to you. I also learnt, happiness is not only about wealth, money, status but its about love. Not everyone in this world are lucky to get all the happiness. I pray Allah gives them the best in the hereafter, if not in this world. I pray Allah to keep me away from the neglect and forgetfulness of parents' deed. I also pray Allah to keep my parents and me (when I'm getting older) away from such diseases. Amin.

After spending hours with them, we had to go home. We were very sad to leave them and they were also felt the same way. Everyone of them keep telling us to come back visit them when we have free time. We were also happy at the same time since they really enjoy every seconds with us. It was definitely would be an unforgettable experience with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment